sábado, 19 de enero de 2013

Greetings from Jinja, Uganda


So far there is not too much of an update, but I will go ahead and do a short one.

Most of my time thus far has been spent attempting to get over jet lag and getting to know the family and routine.

There are 7 kids in the family, 6 boys (Andrew, Tugume, Kenny, Albert, Isaiah and Ezra)  and 1 girl (Anna). All of the boys but the oldest (Andrew) are in this picture below. He is spending break with some family, but he will be coming back soon. Stella (the older girl in the back) is a friend of the family and was just spending some time here. She was my room mate for the first few days, but she is on her way home now. I am going to miss her.







Anna -->
is the only girl in the family. She is quite the ham (as you can probably tell by the picture). 





I am experiencing some new thing (some I did deal with my last trip). Sleeping with mosquito nets, dealing with solar power (so only being able to charge things during the day), independent trip to an internet cafe (I sure do hope I can find my way back) and for "showers"... heat up water, and bath in a large bucket.

I start school with 3 of the boys on Monday (the youngest 2 kids are not in school and the oldest 2 go to school).  When I return to the house I will make up schedules and school plans.

Prayer Requests:
1. I am a little nervous for school starting. Prayers that it will go smoothly, the kids will listen to me, and that I will quickly catch on to the way things go.
2. I am really struggling with being awa from my family. Prayers homesickness and for jet lag (because when I am awake late at night its the worst).
2. I am still lacking much of the funds and our credit card bill will be due very soon. Please be praying fervently.

I plan on updating my blog again in about a week (after school gets going).
Thanks for your prayers and support.

1 comentario:

  1. Take solace that God DOES provide. I spent my last few quetzales the other day paying the rent on my house. However, that didn't stop me from going on a trip to Retalhuleu to translate for a group of doctors. One of the pharmacists handed me some American cash and said, "I know it's not much, but I hope it helps." It's roughly what I normally make in 3.5 months. Another one of the pharmacists handed me some money a couple days later. "I know it's not much, but..." it's more than I'd make in a week teaching at the school where I was. Then on Friday a doctor from the group took me out to eat in Antigua. She urged me to eat a helping and a half of food, and then she put some money in my hand. "I know it's not much, but..." it will pay for my cat food for two months. You just have to keep every step straight forward and holding out your hand to help everyone who has fallen to the side.

    You're doing great. I know that when I was your age I wasn't ready to do what you're doing. I wasn't as lucky as you were to grow up in a family so close knit. I rarely miss anyone back home. (Although, that may be from being an introvert who has always preferred written communication.) You will find that your friends become your family, and once you have family in both (all three) places, you have little desire to abandon the progress you have made. So, that's my advice: make friends.

    I'll obviously be praying for you. I just wanted to give you some tangible thoughts. Cuidete mucho.

    ResponderEliminar