lunes, 25 de febrero de 2013

Update from Jinja

Sorry, its been a while....

Well, as many of you already know the first part of being here was very challenging for me. I was really hard for me, being so far away from my family, it got me really discouraged. But things are getting better...

I have made an awesome friend, Kendra, who had been a life saver for me. She has a large house that has a few extra bedrooms and she lets people come and hang out all the time. Her house has become an amazing get away for me and I got to spend this past weekend with her. She runs a design business here and she highers Ugandans who have graduated with art/design majors, so it is also giving me a chance to make some other friends. (1 or 2 of which are going to help me go clothes shopping in the next week or so... in need of some new jeans).

I am, also, trying to get out more and get involved in different ministries.

On Wednesday I went with 2 ladies from my church and joined them at a bible study in the ladies prison. It was really fun. The woman (and some of their kids) came in the room, the spend some time singing... and since we are in Africa, "singing" also includes a drum and dancing. Then one of the 2 ladies that I went with stood up and told a Bible story 2 times, then had the ladies tell it back... it was very basic but just what these woman need. It was a great experience and I am hoping to join them on a regular basis.

There is also a home for kids with special needs near by (Ekisa). I am getting to know some of the volunteers there, and I plan on hanging out there a lot. I have gone over twice for short visits so far, but I am hoping to get out there about once a week. It is very similar to what I want to do here eventually, so getting to know the kids and the volunteers/the girls that started it... is a great opportunity... and really fun :)



I also want people to know, I teach school to the boys every week day from 8:30 to 3:00 (on Wednesdays we end at 1:00)... during that time I often have facebook pulled up and I do stuff on there between helping the boys.... I do NOT spend all day long on facebook (well, I guess I kinda do, but most of the time in between posts and such I am grading school and answering questions).

Food for thought:
You know you are living in another country the 3 things you are most excited about for your weekend of "luxury" are... electricity (instead of solar power), a washing machine and hot showers.

Just so all know, if you want I can add you to an e-mail update list... but all that is is I will e-mail you to let you know that I updated my blog. (That way you don't have to check my facebook or blog to see if I have done an update.) If you want to be added just send me a quick e-mail and I will add you to the list... carissa@hopeforhome.org

Thanks for all the prayers :)


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario