lunes, 17 de junio de 2013

No longer a Mzungu

So sorry, this is long over due.


First things first..... No longer a Mzungu (thats what Ugandans calls white people). I have learned to sit sideways on the back of a motorcycle (for when I wear dresses or skirts), I am working on learning a little bit of Luganda (one of the more common languages there), I carry kids wrapped up on my back, and I got my hair done.

African braids.... fun experience, terribly look. (this picture was taken here in Guatemala, but its the best picture)


Since I last updated, most of my time was spent with Ekisa.... but I also spent one week with Doors Ministry (for those of you who dont know, Teisha and I spent a few weeks ago with them back in the fall). Doors Ministry has 2 main parts to in, a slum school and a home for street boys. Each day I would spend some time each day at the school, then later I would go back to the home and help some of the boys practice their reading.


I got to teach an art class at the school.





Here are a few more pictures from my time at Ekisa...
We took some of the kids swimming :)





I left Uganda Monday morning (the 10th). I had about a 9 hour flight to London where I met my cousin, Angelina, and got to spend the night there with her. 

(picture of us on the tube)

The next day we went to the airport, got checked in, and had some coffee together while waiting for the flight. After that, I had about a 9 1/2 hour flight to Miami, 5 hour layover (where I watched a movie and ate american Wendy's!!!!! Twas a big day), then only a 2 1/2 hour flight to Guatemala... where I got to see my family!!!!! It is so good to be home but I sure do miss Uganda.

So, I started out by saying that I was no longer a Mzungu.... that is a lie. As a white person in an African country I will always be a mzungu.... and I think I am ok with that :)

1 comentario:

  1. Someone was trying to explain me on the phone last night: "Es gringa pero es chapina." I suppose it won't be long before they say the same sort of stuff about you (but there).

    ResponderEliminar